Friday, February 29, 2008

Let's Salsa (2)!

I've wanted to try Mexican food or Tex Mex for some time. After making my own pastas, i cringe everytime we fork out RM20-30 for a simple pasta at some fancy italian outlet. I'm gonna start cringing when i next step into TGIF. But then again, cheeses are not cheap, neither are sour cream or avocadoes to make guacamole.

When we were at Dallas last year, Hub's colleague invited us over for a home cooked Mexican dinner. Wow. It was excellent. His wife went 'feh!' over 'yellow cheese'. that's how they describe American cheese haha. I guess that means cheddar. Apprarently the real authentic Mexican food uses white cheese, not yellow. Hmmm I'll have to read up on that.

So since I am using 'feh!' yellow cheddar, I guess i'm making a Tex Mex dish then. :)


Don't the bright, cheer-y-ful colours look absolutely gorgeous? Fun, delicious and MESSY! Quesadillas with my salsa. Its so simple, you can't get it wrong! Kinda like a mexican version of our Chinese popiah.

Recipe
Tortillas
Butter
Cheddar cheese (grated)
Mushrooms (sliced)
Onions (thinly sliced)
Red and yellow capsicums (sliced)
Ground beef

Ok first, heat up some olive oil, and start sauteeing the mushrooms. Season with salt n pepper. Set aside.
Do likewise for the capsicums and onions and ground beef. I marinated the beef with salt, pepper and mixed herbs first. Delicious. Don't overcook or they'll be rubbery and tough. You want to keep the juices.

Soon you'll have something like this!


Lookit my tortillas, arent they so fun looking too? Anyhoo, i think i bought the wrong size.. these were too large for quesadillas... but I couldnt resist the fun packing! Oh well..

Now, spread butter onto your tortillas then pan fry them. Flip it off and on. Once you see air bubbles forming within the tortilla, it should be almost done.


Sprinkle a generous amount of cheddar cheese. I used some Seriously Farmy cheddar here. Seriously.



Then customise your quesadilla - mushrooms n beef? Just capsicums and onions? or EVERYTHING? Of course we went for everything. I mean, we need to finish the food right? haha

Leave it for a bit until the cheese has melted, fold it like an omelette and flip to the other side.

Serve with salsa, sour cream or guacamole. (havent got around making guacamole.. avocadoes are mighty expensive here..)

I get my inspirations from: Elise and Pioneer Woman.

No comments: