Saturday, February 02, 2008

Tipsy over Tiramisu

I don't know if this picture actually looks remotely appealing. To me, it looks like bits of yau char quai floating in some weird gooey stuff. S_I_G_H.


This is my tiramisu. And since this attempt took up an hour and a half of my weekend, lots of sweat, mutterings and almost splutters of expletive words, I shall post it!

Before you go ewww and yucks, I have to say, it actually tasted pretty good - probly due to the lashings of Tia Maria.

I suppose there's no point in mentioning the recipe here coz i think my proportions were slightly off :(

There goes all the good stuff down the drain.. Tia Maria liquor, mascarpone cream cheese (this costs RM20 for a small 250g tub), Lindt dark chocolate (RM10 per bar). Savoiardi (lady fingers) Other items included eggs, coffee and sugar.



First i was suppose to whisk the egg yolks and sugar together till pale and creamy. I was pretty tired so I didnt really do a good job here. Then, stir in the mascarpone. Here, i forgot to take it out of the fridge to warm to room temperature so it was hard and difficult to stir well into the mixture. Next, to whisk the egg whites till stiff and fold it into the above mixture. The whole thing was weird and lumpy and i had to squish every single lump to make it combine well into the mixture. HARD WORK.

Just when I thought nothing else could go wrong. The next step, to soak the Savoiardi in the coffee + liquor mixture. How was I to know the darn thing soaked up the liquor in the blink of an eye? I read a recipe which said to leave it for about 30 secs to ensure its soaked well! arrgghhh i had to quickly scoop them up but the damage was done.

I still had to go on.

So i started the layering process. savoiardi, cheese mixture, shavings of Lindt choc, savoiardi, cheese mixture, Lindt... You don't know how it feels like to go on when you already know its gonna turn out bad... its all like a bad dream and you hope to wake up and find out it was all just that - a bad dream.

Anyway, all said and done, in it went into the fridge overnight.

I scooped a mouthful, tasted it and hey! it was OK! not delicious or as rich as I would have preferred but it was EDIBLE. hhaahaa. The oversoaked saviordari was a bit gross, and it didnt have much texture left but! the liquor saved the day.

I shall attempt this again!

This recipe from allrecipes looks worth trying. Either that or i shall attempt this from Tartelette.

No comments: