Sunday, May 06, 2007

Baked Apple Cake


I have been surfing around for my next cake to bake and when i saw recipes for variations of apple cake. The pictures were so yummilicious that I really couldn't resist! Sorry hubby, your chocolate cake will just have to wait. I decided on a simple recipe here (101 cookbooks). Its odd that its called Apple Coffee cake but no coffee is used! Maybe its means its a perfect cake to have with a cup of coffee :)

Here's the recipe:
2 medium tart apples such as Granny Smith (wow, one apple costs RM2.29!)
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/3 cup apple jelly (this is just to smooth over the cake - i didnt use this)

- Preheat oven at 180 degrees. Grease an 8"X 3" cake tin.
- Peel apples, remove core and cut into slices.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together.
- Add vanilla to milk and set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Mix in eggs one at a time.
- Add the flour mixture in 3 portions, alternating with milk mixture.
- Pour batter into cake tin. Leave a little behind. Arrange apple slices on top then cover them with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes

I made some changes. I used slightly more butter (an extra pat) coz it was quite dry and difficult to cream with the sugar. I also chopped up one apple into small cubes and tossed them with some flour to prevent it getting soggy then stirred them into the batter. Then I used the other apple (sliced) and arranged it on top of the batter.

If you don't cover the apple slices with a little bit of batter, it may dry out during baking and won't come out juicy though it would give your cake a better appearance and conveniently deceive one that there are more apples than there actually is. Ha!

Verdict: 6/10. Not bad - The apples were warm, sweet and juicy... cake had that nice cinammon-y smell but it was slightly on the dry side. I'd prefer the cinnamon taste to be stronger though. The cubed apples also kinda sank to the bottom. So much for my smart idea of caoting them with flour to prevent sinking. :P

I think in future, I'll add a little more milk and slices of apple arranged in layers for a juicier munch!

2 comments:

Pille said...

I've got several recipes for "coffee cakes" without coffee and found that very confusing. Then an American friend explained to me that 'coffee cakes' are called so, as they go well with coffee:)

coffeedreames said...

hey so wat I thought was right :) thanks for dropping by!