I have a dream.
Not anything like Martin Luther King's but one that will test every ounce of patience in my Hubby, one that will require him to summon will power beyond what he was ever capable of to smile instead of frown, to give a deserved (even if underserved) pat on the back, to nod vigourously with approval after every bite that will hopefully be swallowed and not quietly hidden and poured into the sink.
Actually I just want to learn to cook a new dish every week lah. I have not improved or tried anything remotely new in the cooking category. :( So this year, I declare to be more disciplined. A new dish every week. 52 new dishes. With a 20% rate of success (anything less and I shall be depressed), I should be able to learn 10 new dishes and stop feeding my family with the same old mouldy stuff.
So here's my list! Its not exhaustive - just a coupla recipes I like, basic ones that I should know etc. Any other suggestions?
The Soup Category
I love soups! Healthy (er, then again not always) and filling. 1-bowl meals that can be cooked in advance and heated up to eat any time when hungry.
Creamy Broccoli Soup
Creamy Mushroom Soup
Cream of Cauliflower Soup - (hmm not sure bout this tho, i mean Hubs already has unbearable gas problems... )
Cream of Asparagus Soup
The Baking Category
Look out waistlines!
Cream Cheese Chocolate Brownies
Still trying out variations to get the best Moist Chocolate Cake. (If all else fails, I recently discovered that The Ampang Grocer stores Ghirardelli Cake Mixes hurrah!)
Poppy Seed Cake
Peanut Butter Cookies
Apple Pie/ Apple Crumble
I got this great nonya recipe book as a gift. Hurray! More stuff to experiment with!
- Asam Laksa (urrgghh recipe looks like a lot of work but I guess I must learn to cook this in my life time)
- Nonya Fried Rice
- Tau Eu Bak (Soy Sauce Pork)
- Nonya Fried Chicky
- Kari Kapitan (Kapitan Chicken Curry)
- Popiah Chee! ( this will be a great finger food to bring to Pot Lucks!)
- Spaghetti with a mushroom cream sauce
- Spaghetti alle Vongole (spaghetti with clams)
- Spaghetti with Italian sausages - tomato based sauce
- Must try to a make a Lasagne!
- Must try to make my own pizza - dough plus toppings
- Grandmother's Pie ( apparently one of the most popular and delicious desserts in the Italian repertoire)
- Chocolate Truffles
- A Good Roast Chicken
- A Good Pork Chop - maybe I'll try one version marinate with Guinness Malta.. mm hmmm
I don't really like to mess around seafood (i like to eat them, not cook) coz most of them are smelly stuff before cooked... Hmm... only if i come across a must-try recipe..